Wedding Journal’s Deputy Editor Sarah-Jayne Cassells reports from the British Bridal Exhibition (BBE) in Harrogate, with the top looks, trends, colours and materials for the 2014 bride…
The 2014 bride is going to be spoilt for choice with the stunning new bridal collections filling up bridal boutiques in Ireland over the next few months with 350 collections from more than 250 of the finest bridal manufactures and bridal designers across the world, Irish bridal retailers had the pick of the new 2014 wedding dress collections.
Here are Wedding Journal’s top wedding dress trends for 2014:
Lace wedding dresses
It is still the most wanted material of the modern day bride. After Kate Middleton set the trend on her wedding day, bridal boutiques have been coming down with lace wedding dresses in all shapes and sizes and it looks like this is set to continue.
Luxurious wedding dress fabrics
Lace not quite your thing? Don’t worry as gorgeous fabrics such as silk, fine taffeta, romantic chiffon and richly detailed gemstone embroidery will also play a big part in the 2014 bridal collections.
Wedding dress embellishments
Jewelled necklines and stunning details also stood out on wedding dresses. Bling and sparkle are everywhere for that bride who doesn’t want to go unnoticed.
Wedding dress colours
I personally love a bit of colour when it comes to a wedding dress. Don’t worry ivory and white are still the preferred colour of choice, but a few tones of blush, power blue and my favourite, mocha, popped up every now and again, which was refreshing to see. A coloured wedding dress may not be your thing, but with plenty of bridal accessories on offer – colour can still be used – don’t be afraid of it!
Wedding dress styles
High necks, long sleeves and fun short wedding dresses popped up a lot more often than expected. Wedding dresses with that vintage feel and others with ultra-modern twists or just simple understated elegance were in abundance.
New wedding dress designers
Up and coming labels such as Cocoe Voci, Miquel Suay, Stephanie James, Cabotine, Mooshki and Tabitha all caught my eye this September. Watch this space as these labels make their way into bridal boutiques throughout Ireland very soon.
These are only a few of the wedding dress trends that caught my eye, but I would certainly say there is definitely a wedding dress for YOU from the 2014 bridal collections at Harrogate.
Wedding dress ideas and inspiration
- Embrace the blues at Collar and Cuff Grooms Wear Declan Mahon from Collar and Cuff in Dublin shares his thoughts on this season's new trend - blue wedding suits.
- Plus size wedding dress style from Angelo Bridal See the gorgeous Callista wedding dresses coming to the Dublin bridal boutique for 2015.
- How to wear a daring wedding dress Deep plunging necklines, sultry exposed backs and thigh-high slits - we bring you a new generation of daring dresses that push all the bridal boundaries.
- Debonair dressing at John Laurence and Black Bow groomswear Dress like royalty on your wedding day with a grooms suit from John Lawrence and Black Blow.
- Chic wedding day style at Serendipity Boutique Find your perfect wedding or mother of the bride outfit in the Kilkenny fashion boutique.
- Top 12 Oscar De La Renta celebrity wedding dresses We look at our favourite ODLR bridal creations, following the designer’s death.